Memorial website in the memory of your loved one
Hannah Leigh Stewart was born on June 22, 1994 at Henrico Doctor's Hospital in Richmond, Virginia.  From the beginning, she had problems.  She lived in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the hospital for the first 6 weeks of her life.  Diagnosed with a rare congenital Birth Defect, Hannah struggled to breathe with trachea malasia.  A weakness of the trachea from being underdeveloped.  She also had difficulty with swallowing her food.  At four weeks old she had her first surgery.  So that the feeding tube could be pulled from her nose, a feeding tube was permanently made in her stomach and a tracheostomy tube in her throat due to the trachea malasia. 

At six weeks old, we were finally allowed to bring her home.  Of course, I went through lots of training at the hospital.  When I got home with Hannah, it was another challenge.  I didn't have the hospital personnel there to help back me up when she turned blue.  I had to depend on only me even though I felt paniced. There was one thing for sure, I couldn't afford to make a mistake or my daughter would be dead. 

When Hannah was 8 months old we noticed that she appearred to be having focal seizures.  With the help of the RISP program, we were able to assess Hannah more closely with professionals who knew more about these issues than I did.  As Hannah grew, we saw the seizures more often and more intensified.  She would stop breathing when she would seize.  It was very scarey.

When Hannah was one year old, we were able to receive nursing care for her.  Roz was her first nurse and like a mother to Hannah.  Roz was very helpful and became one of the family. 

Story to continue at a later date.

Passed away on April 21, 2005 at the age of 10.
If you have any material to add to this section, please contact the website manager. If you are the website manager, you can enter edit mode to change the timeline by clicking here.
Bring the memories home by publishing your online memorial as a genuine hardcover keepsake